The Bridleways and Natural Trail Riding
The natural single track running through Grizedale forest offers some of the most varied and interesting riding. They are a mixture of technical climbs, long swooping downhills, technical fast downhills and lots of mud! These trails are not easy to find and advice and local knowledge is recommended if you are seeking to go for an explore. We also supply guides on a half or full day basis who can personally show you round the forest or the local trails (at an extra cost). If you are hiring a bike for these trails you need a hardtail or full suspension model, and you need a high level of fitness as the climbs back from most of the descents can be pretty long! Or hire a Mountain E-Bike for even more fun.
For more information on the bridleways in the forest please discuss routes with the staff in the hire base in Lowick, who will be happy to show you on a map.
Watch this space for more detailed routes we are attempting to update this soon.
What do we need to bring with us?
- Yourselves, with a big smile ready to start!
- Everybody wearing sensible footwear such as trainers – you cannot hire a bike wearing flip-flops, open toed sandals or loose slip on footwear. This is because it is unsafe on the pedals.
- Bring water and snacks or a picnic if you wish. Though don’t worry if you don’t bring your own we sell water, Lucozade and flapjack at the bike hire centre.
- Bring a rucksack to put everything in.
- As we are in the Lake District, it is safe to assume rain! So it is always worth bringing waterproof top and bottoms unless…
- …On the rare occasions it is beautiful blue sky’s bring sun cream! (Also stocked in the shop if you forget!)